Monday, March 10, 2008

The Awakening - Kate Chopin

Rating: 3 Don’t bet on this one…wait for the movie (···)
Pages: 190
Challenges: A-Z Challenge: C Author; Novella
Annotation (BN.Com)

An American classic of sexual expression that paved the way for the modern novel, The Awakening is both a remarkable novel in its own right and a startling reminder of how far women in this century have come. The story of a married woman who pursues love outside a stuffy, middle-class marriage, the novel portrays the mind of a woman seeking fulfillment of her essential nature.
Review
This is not a book that I would normally read, but my husband is taking a Lit class, so I thought it would be fun to read a book together! He isn't a big reader so this was a special treat.
This book is about Edna Pontellier a married woman who has an affair with an unmarried man - Robert. She falls in love with Robert in a time where women having affairs was not acceptable behavior. Once she is awakened to what life can be she is no longer satisfied with her life. She then makes some drastic and unconventional decisions and changes in her life.
I thought that this book was entertaining and interesting. Some of the criticism of this book during the time it was published is that it is sexually provocative, which in 2008 is interesting since it only alluded to the fact that Edna had sex. I had to re-read the chapter a second time to see if I understood! It was interesting to have to imply a lot of what happened versus knowing exactly what happened and it challenge my comprehension. I thought it was a good read and I am happy to say that I have read at least one classic this year!
Can you imagine the critics of the Awakening reading some books today! Whew! That would be something.

No comments: