Monday, March 17, 2008

Negativity Meme

Dewey posted the following meme that I thought I would participate in:

1. When you dislike a book, do you say so in your blog? Why or why not?
Yep – I think that people reading my blog have a right to know if I didn’t like a book. If I don’t like a book that my friend asks me about I tell them I didn’t like it. But on the other hand you will know if I love a book too.

2. Do you temper your feelings about books you didn’t like, so as not to completely slam them? Why or why not?
I don’t try to slam anything, but then again sometimes I don’t temper what I say. Though in saying that, I often wonder why some books bring a strong reaction in me and most of those that do I like because they give me a strong reaction.

3. What do you think is the best way to respond when you see a negative review about a book you enjoyed?
I don’t really like to start a negative fight with other bloggers. I think it’s best to tactfully express my opinion and maybe raise some thought provoking questions. I also think one of the fabulous things about reading in America is that we have so many book choices and so many interests. Just because I didn’t like a book doesn’t mean that someone else will.

4. What is your own most common reaction when you see a negative review of a book you loved or a positive review of a book you hated?
I don’t usually say anything or might tell what I most like about the book, but typically I don’t comment.

5. What is your own most common reaction when you get a comment that disagrees with your opinion of a book?
I haven’t gotten a lot of comments on my blog but I think disagreeing comments are good – people are reading and taking interest in what I am saying. That would be flattering. I think that I would also feel bad that they disagree, but on the other hand people have different opinions and that is what is awesome about living in America!

6. What if you don’t like a book that was a free review copy? What then?
I would still give an honest review of the book.

7. What do you do if you don’t finish a book? Do you review it or not? If you review it, do you mention that you didn’t finish it?
I don’t review the book, but I have a list on my blog of books that I can’t finish. If I did review it I would mention that I didn’t finish it.

No comments: